Register To Comment
Page 48 of 106 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread: How could I Improve pt 2

Actually, Chris, I might have a solution; if you just tell us what weight and diameter you want this disc of mysterious origin to be, together with a rough figure youd be happy with for energy, someone more technically minded can conjure up one for you to make use of.

As an example, assuming a few things:

-if your height at the back is 50cm, and you want to hit lots of things, Id assume a 45cm diameter.

-I messed with materials until I had it made out of Ti, which put the weight up to 29.58lbs, about 13kg (give or take) which seems reasonable.

-The popup window actually calculates the moment of inertia for you, so you dont need to work that bit out yourself

-Matching this hypothetical disc with the rpm you gave (2000) gives me a figure of 7.4493 kilojoules. Accounting for teeth, which I cant be bothered to work in myself, errors in calculation, and the fact I left the distance to centre bit blank as I had no idea what it meant even with Kodys explaination :P, youre looking at about 10kjs for the lot, and voila, a nice easy disc that looks good on the wall and makes a nice conversation piece.

10kj should be enough to flip someone over, but if you want more, make it heavier (mess with the density in the popup window) or thicker (I assumed 0.75 inches because I could sense asking about it was a bad idea) but its really one of those things you have to learn youself through playing around with.

(Message edited by joeychevron on September 14, 200

Basically Chris, the calculator wants to know what your teeth are made of, and their size, so that in can add up the weight and add its weight to the inertia of the disc, so you get a more accurate KJ output. Without the teeth, it gives you the energy from the disc, and only the disc. Add the teeth on and the KJ will go up.

Its like a peice of string. swing it around, and it has its own energy if its hits something. stick a peice of weight on the end and the energy changes.

Are your disc teeth thin, thick, are they made of Titainium, steel or Aluminium ? I cant beleive it gives polycarbonate as an option :P

quote:

1.5m in length, 1m in length and 0.5m at its highest point

so Mega Masher is 1.5m in length, and its length is 1m?

Damnit Chris, it IS an error in your stats, and this topic is meant to improve peoples stats right? Hence the topics name and all.

And your reply didnt help much, I still dont know which dimension is meant to be the length and which is the wideness.

EDIT: I notice your revised stats now, but they have the same error in them quote:

1.1.m in length, 0.7m in length and 0.5m at its highest point

(Message edited by MajinB on September 14, 200

I personally dont take teeth into account when calculating discs - in the end the calculators not going to be 100% accurate and theres a chance of getting an unusually good or bad hit, and therefore it makes sense to take account of the teeth by rounding up rather than any calculation - and at the end of the day, a sufficiently powerful spinning object is the same give or take a few kilojoules, at least once you get over 50 :P

My main reccommendation if you want to make the disc more powerful is to make it thicker, and thus heavier, or make it out of a different material for more weight...considering the drive and armour though, going above 20kgs with the disc weight is pushing it. (let me know if you have problems calculating stuff for the disc and Ill throw something together)

Which brings me back to the armour...3.25mm Hardox all over the machine is still going to cause problems, you can keep the Hardox on the front maybe but youd have to have some Ti on the sides at least and maybe a polycarb base, without doing weight calculations I cant reccommend anything specifically but as it stands its probably overweight.

And I have to agree with Marti about the length/length confusion, it is an error and you shouldnt be yelling at him for pointing it out :P

quote:

Its obvious the second length should have been width.It wasnt obvious at all. There are quite some robots whos width is greater than their length.
    quote:

Its NOT an error, its clearly a mis-print. A mis-print is just a specific kind of error. Whatever it was, it was a typo that may cause people trouble understanding the bot, it needed improvement, you asked for improvement, so I pointed it out for you to correct it.
    quote:

thanks ONLY to Joey and David. Ok, you seem to think my advice was pointless and dont take it, ok, fair game, you wont have to thank me if that really is your opinion.
    quote:

1.5m in length, 1m in width and 0.5m at its highest point. WTF? You go through all this trouble yelling at me and then take my advice after all? Clearly it wasnt pointless if you modify your stats for it

I also wanna point out that this latest revision uses the dimensions of the FIRST revision, you scaled the bot down with the second revision and I think those scaled down dimensions were better, I dont know why I bother giving this advice though.

Register To Comment